This recipe was inspired by my delicious dinner at Bongo’s Cuban Cafe in Downtown Disney last weekend. After setting up my booth for FACCWDW, we decided to spend a couple of hours shopping at Downtown Disney. And of course, by that I mean we got dinner and went to a couple of stores. Being that it was a Friday in November, and there were only two of us, I pretty much had my pick of any restaurant there. No reservations required! But it’s no surprise that I ended up choosing an old favorite to go back to. When we ate at Bongo’s a couple of years ago, they were great about dealing with my allergies. Not to mention, that’s where I discovered maduros. Sooo, delicious food + warm + plantains = happy Kathleen. #Priorities
The nice thing about this menu is that there are GF symbols denoting which items are gluten free. That always makes things a little easier. I informed the waitress of my allergies and she sent the chef out to take my order. I ended up getting the shredded chicken, which came with maduros and white rice. They also included an additional side of tostones for me. Heaven! It was delicious, of course. Especially the crispy bits of shredded chicken that were extra fried.
Anyways, I decided to make something similar for me and the roomie when I got back to Raleigh, and this is what I came up with!
Vaca Frita de Pollo (Cuban Shredded Chicken)
Makes 6-8 servings
1 lb chicken breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 large, ripe plantain, diced
1 tsp sea salt plus more for the pot
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Coconut oil for the pan
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add sea salt.
2. Boil the chicken for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Once the chicken is cooked through, move it to a plate. Using two forks, shred the chicken and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
5. Add the onions and half of the spices, cooking until translucent.
6. Once the onions are cooked, add the diced plantain.
7. Once the plantains have browned a bit, add the chicken and the remaining spices, stirring to incorporate.
8. Cook for about 5 minutes then remove from heat and serve.