Have you ever wished you could quit reality and hitch a flight to Neverland with Peter Pan? All this growing up stuff is cool and all, but I miss the simplicity of just being a kid. Nothing to worry about: no exams, no stressful social junk, no money issues. Just simple and fun.
I feel like I was the quintessential little girl when I was younger. I loved pink, sparkly things, dressing up, princesses and barbies. Oh wait, I still like all of that stuff…… Ultimately, I am still a kid at heart. I love Disney, cartoons, dessert, and feeling pretty. Sometimes it’s good to just let go of all the stupid things happening in the moment, and take a break to get back to your roots. Dance like crazy to music in your room. Belt out Pocahontas at the top of your lungs (as we do quite often in my apartment). Buy a tiara and wear it proudly. You’re a princess (or prince), dammit, and you deserve it! Go back to a simpler time and a simpler life, even if just for a little bit. It will do you some good.
With this recipe, I wanted to try and get some of that childhood simplicity back, while still embracing who I’m growing up to be. Sounds all deep and meaningful, right? Yeah yeah yeah. This recipe is fun, yet pho-sisticated, and speaks to the kid in all of us. Also, I think this is my favorite recipe that I’ve posted on the blog so far. Just saying.
Grown-Up PB&J Pancakes
(And of course by PB, I mean not peanut butter)
Makes 2 servings
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp coconut milk
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or other nut/seed butter)
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tbsp grass-fed gelatin
A pinch of sea salt
coconut oil for the pan
1. Mix the eggs, vanilla, honey, coconut milk and sunflower seed butter together in a bowl.
2. Whisk in the coconut flour, gelatin and sea salt, stirring to reach a uniform consistency.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, and add spoonfuls of batter to the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
4. Get ready to have your world rocked.
Strawberry Balsamic Sauce
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1-2 cups strawberries, roughly chopped (or other fruit)
1 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1. Heat the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Then bring to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the strawberries, honey, sea salt and lemon juice and bring to a boil once more. Then reduce to a simmer and let the sauce thicken for 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and let cool before serving.