Ok, so I’m really proud of this next recipe because I made it up completely on a whim and it turned out really well! After a very fun trip to Build a Bear last week with the lovely piccolos from the NC State Marching Band, Mae and I came home and prepared for our super fun movie night (complete with a chick flick, wine, and chocolate, of course). I quickly threw this curry together because it was about 8 PM and I was so hungry I didn’t want to wait a long time to eat. I have my priorities. I love curries because you can essentially add any meat and vegetables and it will turn out great.
I was a little worried about how it would taste since I didn’t use a recipe, but Martha Anne and Qasem both got up for seconds! (Bonus: Qasem is Iranian and told me the dish reminded me of his dad’s cooking – score!) I actually really liked the addition of the cinnamon and raisins to the curry flavor – it brought a new side to the traditional curries I’m used to making. Yay for easy meals!
Super Awesome Random Curry
1 lb chicken, diced
8 oz chicken broth
½ cup broccoli
1 cup sugar snap peas
½ cup butternut squash
1 cup spinach
¼ cup raisins
1 tbsp curry
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp coconut oil, for the pan
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, and cook until white on all sides.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli, peas, squash, onion, spinach and raisins and cook until tender.
- Add the spices and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the coconut milk, and continue to let the pot simmer for about 10 more minutes.
- Scoop into bowls or serve over caulirice.