Stressful weeks are no fun. All I want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket, hot tea and Game of Thrones. Well I guess I want to do that 24/7, but it is much more excusable when I feel gross.
In other news, I went to Charleston with the Jeffersons this past weekend and it was fantastic! If you ever visit, I definitely recommend Hyman’s Seafood – it’s delicious and they have a great gluten free menu.
This week, I made a spin of the classic Kashmir dish Rogan Josh. It’s typically made with lamb, but I had chicken in the freezer and leftover okra to use up, so I improvised. My mom thinks I’m weird because I like okra, but it’s actually really good. Especially if it’s fried, crunchy, or in a curry, like this dish. Last time I made this, my dad thought that it was way too spicy, but I thought it was just right (sorry dad)! Anyways, I really liked how it turned out with the chicken and okra, and it paired very nicely with the Creamy Spiced Market Kale from Well Fed.
Topped with toasted coconut chips, it was even better.
Chicken and Okra Rogan Josh
Makes 3-4 servings
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup onion, diced
1 cup sliced okra
½ cup coconut milk
¾ cup chicken broth
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp allspice
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil over in a pot over medium heat, add the chicken, and let brown on all sides.
- Add the onions and okra, and cook until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the spices, and stir.
- Your kitchen is going to smell heavenly.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth to the pot and mix before bringing the pot to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer for 1-2 hours.
- After 1-2 hours, remove the lid and allow the sauce to thicken.